Thursday, October 15, 2009

Candy Making Tips

After not posting any recipes for about a month I decided I had better get started on posting the candy recipes. I want to give everyone plenty of time to practice in case they want to make some of Grandma Drake's Christmas chocolates.

Candy Making Tips – Handwritten by Emily Allgood Drake


Candy Making is called Sugar Cookery.

Always add some salt to your candy.

Stir toffee constantly until done. Don’t leave to answer the phone or the doorbell.

Use peppermint oil flavoring.

Stir caramels constantly.

Never scrap the pan, just pour out all you can onto a platter. Then scrape out the remainder and put it in a saucer for your children.

Measure accurately and use ingredients called for. Do not substitute for best results.

If fondant goes sugary just add cream or water and cook over.

Use a wooden spoon to stir with.

Note: Nowadays we have wonderful silicone scrapers that can withstand high temperatures. I prefer one of them to a wooden spoon. I call it my candy paddle. I have also used long-handled telfon egg turners to stir candy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment